Archive for March 2013

Naked domain support using GoDaddy and Azure Websites

Getting a naked domain working properly seems to be one of those secrets of the internet that people in the know protect under threat of violence.

Different DNS providers and hosts handle this differently, but here’s how I got it working with Azure Websites and GoDaddy.

In my case, I wanted to get both and to point to my website. Preferably, I also wanted to work without a redirect – I wanted the user to actually see in the address bar.

The Azure management portal pretty much tells you all you need to know when configuring a custom domain for your site. After you enter the domain, it does some validation to make sure the necessary DNS entries are in place – and let’s you know if they’re not.



Pretend for a second that I entered (not as in the screenshot). The error message tells me that I need a CNAME record awverify.www that points to

After configuring that in GoDaddy, works as a custom domain for

To get the naked domain to work as a custom domain, create a CNAME record awverify that points to

Here you can see the two CNAME records in GoDaddy:


and the custom domains configured in the Azure Management Portal:



Hope this helps

Enabling Entity Framework SQL Server Compact Edition support on Azure Websites

I’m working on a simple splash screen which collects the user’s email address and saves it in a database. I decided to use a SQL Server Compact Edition database and include it in my MVC4 website’s App_Data folder.

This worked great in my development environment, however, after deploying the site to Azure I would get the following error:

Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.

I figured that Azure didn’t have the necessary dependency available – and I had it locally because I was running Visual Studio which had most likely already installed the necessary dependency.

Instead of messing manually with bin-deployable assemblies, I went straight to NuGet.

I installed the EntityFramework.SqlServerCompact package which also installed the Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition package that it depended on.


I then deployed to my site and everything worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.